Sugarless gum is a proven cavity crime-fighter. According to many studies which have been done, chewing sugarless gum for roughly 20 minutes after eating can help shield your tooth enamel. The effect is due to an increase in saliva production, which can wash away plaque buildup, neutralize harmful acids, and prevent cavities. Here are a few tips to recall when adding sugarless gum to your oral health care routine:
– Sugarless gum should be avoided if you experience any jaw pain or if you have a known TMJ ailment.
– Sugarless gum helps brush away chewy or sticky debris that has been left behind on your teeth and gums after snack time.
– Sugarless gum or even mouthwash should be used after meals instead of brushing your teeth because your teeth are sensitive at this time and can be harmed by abrasive forms of toothpaste.
– Never skip daily habits like brushing and flossing even if you are using supplemental cleaning tactics such as chewing sugarless gum or using mouthwash.
– According to many studies, sugarless gum can help prevent heartburn and its associated acidic stomach acids.
If you would like Dr. Lida M. Vargas and our team at Virginia Dental Group to bring you in for an oral exam to determine which treatment is best for you, please contact our dental office in Fairfax, Virginia, by calling 703-385-3800 today. We look forward to helping you with all of your smile care needs!